Monday, June 30, 2008

Whole Paycheck?

Why is it that multiple beauty products seem to run out at the same time? Is it just me or do your deodorant, toothpaste, face wash, and shampoo seem to time their emptying so you are left with a hefty shopping list? Since I've been trying to convert to more environmentally and human-friendly products (no dangerous ingredients, no testing on animals, etc.), I decided to take a trip to our local Whole Foods to do some replacing of these products. Being the new bargain-hunter that I am (it's getting addicting), I decided to do some searching online to see if I could find any coupons/deals before I trekked to Rochester. Here's what I found:


*First, I checked the Whole Foods website. There is a function available where you can view all the deals currently taking place at your nearest store and add any items you like to an online shopping list. Once you have finished browsing bargains, you can print the list to bring along. I found this to be extremely helpful; I had a "game-plan" before I set into what can be a very dangerous, pricey store for me!

*Which leads me to my next discovery online: Many people have nicknamed Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck" because of the high prices they give their natural, organic products. Going in with my list made up greatly helped; it was comprised completely of sale items and Dan and I stuck to it like glue (alright, he did through in some baked Kettle chips!), but it was still a pricey trip, mostly just because I had several beauty products to buy.


*My third and final point is that I love their reusable shopping bags!

They are bigger, sturdier, and, let's face it, cuter than the Meijer reuse bags and cost the SAME amount: .99 cents :).

I was proud of my husband for ditching his favorite face wash for new Aubrey Organic choice:

So what do you do to buy quality products for your family at low prices? Any great items that you've found work as well as the alternatives you are used to?

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Do your friend a favor. I want to make the switch as well, but don't have the time to sit and do the much needed research. Email me a list of all the products you've switched to (and I assume checked on your snazzy toxicity website) so I can benefit from your hard work! Whole Foods is a quick trip on my lunch hour. Help a girl out?