Monday, June 16, 2008

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?




Question of the Week:


Maybe you are one of the lucky few who knew exactly what you wanted to be when you grew up from childhood. Maybe you graduated high school, applied to exactly the college or trade school you had in mind, and proceeded with the training you needed to make your dream come true. Maybe you did it all before "life" kicked in with marriage, kids, or other "reality" checks. Maybe you are living your dream.



Or maybe you thought you knew what your dream was, and proceeded much as above, and now life has come, you are married, you have children or are about to have your first, and your perspective has changed. What you once thought was "you" doesn't seem to be as close of a fit with your new found reality. The more mature "you."



Often I wish I had the perspective I do now when I graduated from high school eight years ago this month. What would I have done differently? Nothing, as it turns out. Alright, maybe a few minor things :), but the goals and dreams I have now would have been impossible then. They only came with experience, with new birth and love.



Which leads me to the Question of the Week:



What do you want to be when you grow up?



Are you already there, living the dream? Are you close and in the process of pursuing it? Do you have a little, sneaking voice whispering that there is something you are meant to be?



Of course, as you might imagine, this question is born out of my own thoughts as of late. I love being home with Madalyn right now; it is an honor and a privilege. But I believe there is still something for me in the wings. More on that later.



Let me know if it's a firefighter, a ballerina, or a mailman. Or anything in between.




Love,




Laura

4 comments:

Meeghan said...

That is a great question. I followed the road of graduating high school knowing what I wanted to do, went to college and got a job doing that. I love teaching and would not change that for the world. Now being married and having kids is a bigger part of my life and my job, although I still love it, has taken a little bit of a backseat.

Thinking about this brought me to another questions...when are we grown up? I am 30 have a husband, kids, great friends, house, and career, but I feel like there are still a lot of things I want to do "when I grow up". I would love to take photography classes and maybe do something in that field one day. I have always thought it would be fun to be a nail tech. I love making my hands and feet look pretty. A person once told me the Lord spoke to them, about me writing children's books???? So, I guess I feel grown up at this point, but I know there are still other things out there for me...other seasons...other chapters to unfold.

Rebekah said...

I certainly don't have the poise of a ballerina, and I don't like dogs so mailman is out of the question... =)

I finally feel like a TRUE adult. After years of wondering, it feels good to finally be able to say, "I know what I want to be when I grow up." So my official answer?

A professor, with a doctorate, at an esteemed University, traveling the world with my family--preaching, teaching, and writing books, spending my summers in Africa.

Unknown said...

This is a great question!

When I graduated high school and went off to college my main desire was to become a wife and mom. I also knew I wanted to serve the Lord. As time went on I met Paul and got married and had my kids and has the most fun being home with them.

For the past few years I have been getting ready to work again since this fall Zoe will be in school full time. I naturally thought I would be working in the church. (I had completed bible school and became a licensed minister.) Although that must not have been what God wanted because it just hasn't worked out. Soooooo, I am starting over! Headed back to college and plan on teaching high school when it is all said and done.
Interestingly enough, when I went to college for a bit right after high school...I was wanted to be a high school teacher! So, in a way, I have come full circle!

I will be graduating college probably the same year my son is graduating High School!

Andi said...

An elementary PE teacher (if I'm ever given a opportunity). And my own business owner (something I've wanted to do for some time now...when I have the time and resources to start it!). But, being a student of life, I'm always open to new things and who knows where the road might lead...maybe to some of the other little dreams I have...