Wednesday, October 22, 2008

We're Moving To Kalamazoo...Not Really...But Maybe...

I watched an amazing story on the news tonight. The City of Kalamazoo, Michigan, is offering an amazing incentive for the students in their community...free college education. You can check out the specifics here, but basically if you have a child who starts in the district in kindergarten, his or her tuition will be paid in full upon graduation, assuming he or she makes the grades to warrant college acceptance.

Amazing. The theory behind the incentive is that education produces jobs which in turn stimulate the economy. The program is funded by anonymous donors who "want neither the praise nor the blame for the program." I thought that was well said and admirable.

The news cast mentioned that so far the only down-side of the program has been that some students were simply not prepared for college and did not succeed in their first couple years. Apparently the district is now taking steps to help all graduating kids be "college-ready." I'm not sure specifically what that means.

But I'm told I can find out at the 6:45 am news cast. Looks like I'll be googling it when I make my way to the computer at 10:00 am! :)

So, anyways, I might just check out what it would take to move to Kalamazoo...

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

Don't you dare move to K-zoo. I want you HERE. But definitely good incentive. California has a similar program.

Meeghan said...

Melia would really mis her friend...

cakewardrobe said...

That's amazing! Education should be free during times like these!

Anonymous said...

what a great incentive! i hadn't heard that yet... maybe other cities will follow suit!